Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Five-Spice Chiffon Cupcake

Pin It
A while ago, I had some very interesting desserts at Bushi-Tei. One of the desserts that we all loved was a five-spice chiffon cupcake. My home version is pretty simple, but delicious. I take a basic chiffon cupcake recipe, like this one, and add 1/2 teaspoon of five-spice powder and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg. If you look at the picture above closely, you can see flecks of five-spice powder throughout. To me, the five-spice flavor is not strong enough. Next time, I would increase the amount to 1 teaspoon or more.

Flavors aside, the texture of the cupcake is excellent -- tender, light and moist. I dare say even better than the restaurant version I had. Sure, I can frost this baby up, but I love the contrast between warm fresh-out-of-the-oven cupcake and cold creamy vanilla ice cream. The only downside is that the recipe makes way too many cupcakes (about 30 or so). Oh well, I just have to buckle down and eat hard. It's a scarfice I'm willing to make.

Update: The cupcake is kitteh approved. Tangerine nom'd one of the cupcakes while I wasn't looking. For once, she's helping in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment