Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Baked Black Bean Cake

Pin It
This is a modification of a recipe that Pei sent me a while back. The original recipe can be found here. I incorporated some of the suggestions and made a vegan version of the recipe.

For the black bean cakes:
  • 1/4 cup of cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup of onion, finely chopped
  • 2 15-ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 3 teaspoons of hot sauce (I use Sriracha sauce)
  • 1/2 tablespoon of corn starch
  • 1/2 cup of bread crumbs (I use Panko)
  • 2 tablespoons of canola oil
Combine beans, onion, cilantro, garlic, hot sauce, bread crumbs, corn starch and salt in a food processor. Form about 6 patties and dust both sides with cornmeal. Since no egg is used to bind the mixture together, the patties can fall apart in the frying pan. So instead, I drizzle the patties with a little canola oil and bake them in 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.

For the avocado topping:
  • 1/4 cup of onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup of cilantro, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
  • 1 medium avocado, peeled, pit removed and diced
Combine all the ingredients together and top the black bean cakes. A fried egg on top is another (non-vegan) way to serve this dish. Since I don't worry about my cholesterol level and love runny eggs, that's how I ate my black bean cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment