Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Vegetable Paella

Pin It
Recently, I've been testing recipes with mixed results. Some, like this vegetable paella, came out great. Others...well, not so much. One "not so much" recipe was Ina Garten's butternut squash and apple soup recipe. I know, it came as a shock to me too. Ina has never failed me before. But this recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of curry powder, which is way too much. I only added 1 tablespoon and it tasted like mushy curry soup with no butternut squash or apple flavors. I think the cause of the problem is the curry powder itself. Different brands of curry powder have different proportions and mixes. I'm sure I used a different curry powder as Ina, that's why the recipe didn't work for me. For now, I'm sticking to my butternut squash soup recipe with turmeric and ginger.


Now, onto the good news. This vegetable paella is delicious and has so many vegetables and pretty colors. The saffron and paprika really add fragrance and color to this dish. It does take some time and patience to prep the vegetables and to cook the rice thoroughly, but it's well worth it. One note about this recipe, I cut back the amount of rice to 1 1/2 cups for practical reasons -- I am out of rice and my pan isn't big enough. But the amount turned out just right and it was properly cooked. It's a decent and flavorful substitute for seafood paella. You can find the vegetable paella recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment