Friday, June 15, 2012

Hemp Burger

Pin It

When I started this blog, my only goal was to make good vegetarian food that I want to eat. That means, making satisfying and soulful real food that happen to be vegetarian -- none of the bird/hippie food that carnivores associate with vegetarian/vegan meals. For the most part, I've avoided ingredients that you can only buy at health food stores and stuck with vegetables that can be found at any supermarket.

Now, that said, I took a big step away from what I usually make with this hemp burger. We bought a big bag of hulled hemp seeds at Costco and I made some patties by mixing the seeds with some tofu. It was a little weird working with hemp seeds. Maybe I've gone crazy, but the patty mixture totally tasted and smelled like egg yolks. That led me to think that the mixture would make good egg-less quiches -- but that's another experiment for another day. This hemp burger had good substance and texture -- super hearty when sandwiched between two slices of whole grain bread. The addition of pepitas made the burger more substantive and added a bit of crunch. Aside from tasting like egg yolks (again, maybe it's just me), the burger is pretty flavor neutral, which means you can add a ton of toppings and condiments.

For this hippie-dippie hemp burger, you'll need:
  • 1 cup hulled hemp seeds (I used Bob's Red Mill Hulled Hemp Seed)
  • 1 block (14 ounces) firm tofu
  • 1 cup cooked white rice (preferably day old, but if you don't have that handy, bread crumbs will do)
  • 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds), toasted
  • 1/4 cup (about 2 stalks) green onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
To make the burgers, you will need:
  • burger buns or bread
  • toppings (I used tomatoes and spinach, but the possibilities are endless)
  • condiments (I really like whole grain mustard with this)
Mush everything together. Make sure that tofu is totally broken down and well integrated. Refrigerate for 30 minutes so the mixture can set up.


Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees. Line a baking pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper. Form about 6 patties and place them on the parchment paper. Spray the top of the patties with canola or olive oil spray (optional for better browning). Bake for 30 minutes. Turn the heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 10 minutes. The top should be golden brown. Assemble your sandwich and consume.


No comments:

Post a Comment