Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Avocado, Jicama and Daikon Radish Gazpacho

Pin It

I got the idea for this gazpacho from encuentro, a wine bar in Oakland. I thought the idea of making gazpacho out of avocado is so ingenious that I had to try it for myself. For my version of this gazpacho, I added some Daikon radish to balance out the sweetness of the jicama and the creaminess of the avocado. I also added some spinach for its bright green color. The resulting gazpacho had a nice peppery finish -- a little bite in the end.

You will need:
  • flesh of 1 ripe avocado
  • 1/2 medium jicama, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1/4 cup Daikon radish, peeled and diced
  • juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
  • a small handful of spinach (about 1/4 cup packed)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup filtered cold water
  • small diced jicama for garnish (optional)
  • mint for garnish (optional)
  • drizzle of extra virgin olive oil for garnish (optional)
Begin by blending jicama and Daikon radish together in a blender with a cup of water. I thought that the jicama and Daikon radish mixture was too grainy and fibrous at this point, so I passed half of the mixture through a strainer and returned the resulting liquid back into the blender. Then add the remaining ingredients and blend together. If you're making this ahead of time, pour the gazpacho into a prep bowl and cover with plastic wrap. To prevent oxidation, make sure that the plastic wrap is directly on top of and in contact with the gazpacho. Refrigerate and serve cold with optional garnish on top.

3 comments:

  1. What a vibrant looking dip! Thats sure to brighten up any dinner table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx for connecting with me on foodbuzz. I just subscribed to your blog feed and can't wait to see what your next post will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CJ,

    Thanks for subscribing. I really enjoy your blog too!

    ReplyDelete