Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Cauliflower and Leek Pasta

Pin It

Why do we keep buying cauliflower? I don't even like them! Anyway, our orange cauliflower was in the fridge staring back at me. So I had to cook them. Something simple maybe?

You will need:
  • 1 head of cauliflower (I used orange cauliflower), tough stems removed
  • 1 medium leek, white part only, sliced thin
  • 3 gloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups dry white wine
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter or butter substitute (I used Earth Balance)
  • 1 tablespoon apple cinder vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • chopped parsley for garnish
  • 1 pound whole wheat pasta
In a medium pot, melt butter or butter substitute with olive oil. Add leek and garlic. Saute gently until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add cauliflower. Stir. Add dry white wine and vinegar. Bring mixture to boil and then turn down to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.

In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to boil. Season with salt. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain. Toss pasta with cauliflower mixture and toasted pine nuts. Garnish with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

I think the orange cauliflower was sweeter than regular. I like it more than regular cauliflower. But it's been years since I've had a regular white cauliflower that I struggle to remember what they actually taste like. VB thinks that I actually like cauliflower but for some unknown reason have denied that fact most of my adult life. Maybe I just need something to hate on. I mean, I can't like to eat everything, can I? Can I?


Oh, remember kohlrabi? We liked it so much that we bought it again at the farmers' market. This time, I peeled them and sliced them thinly along with a couple of granny smith apples. Then I tossed them simply with some vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. It's fresh, slightly sweet, crunchy and really delicious as a side salad/slaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment