Monday, July 4, 2011

Homemade Pasta

Pin It Happy Fourth of July! I wish I can say that we're doing something fabulous today, but I caught a cold (yes, in the middle of summer... weird) and feel pretty lousy at the moment. So no big barbeque for us today, but I did try my hands at making fresh pasta a few days ago and here are photos from the process.

3 eggs and 2 cups of flour.
After incorporating enough flour with the eggs, I cut the egg mixture and flour together to form a shaggy dough.


Kneaded the dough for a few minutes into a smooth ball.
The dough rested for 30 minutes and then cut into 4 pieces. Then each piece was passed through the pasta machine.
I could only get the pasta to the second thinnest setting (6). Close enough. Then the pasta sheet was cut into strips.
Boil pasta immediately for 3 to 5 minutes. Mix with pesto, baby arugula and paper thin shaved fennel. Ta-da!
It turns out, making pasta is not as hard as previously imagined, although it did take a lot longer than I expected. The hardest part by far was trying to get a thin sheet of pasta without the pasta sticking to itself. Setting 6 was good enough for me. I actually wanted a thicker pasta after tasting the final product. So maybe it doesn't have to be paper thin. Overall, great success! Certainly heck a lot better than our last attempt. Let's never speak of that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment