Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cheesy Gnocchi

Pin It
For Christmas, I got myself a potato ricer. I used the ricer to make gnocchi again. My last batch sat in the freezer too long and tasted like the plastic bag that it was in. It wasn't too much better fresh either -- heavy, gummy, and chewy. This time, armed with the proper tools, gnocchi tastes light and fluffy. The four cheese blend (Pecorino, Mozzarella, Emmental, and Gruyere) covering the gnocchi and baked to cheesy goodness doesn't hurt either.

For the gnocchi, I baked three russet potatoes, peeled them while hot and then pressed them through the ricer. This process produced a much superior product than boiling the potatoes and turning them into gummy paste using the food processor.


As a side dish, I blanched some Brussels sprouts and then tossed them quickly with chopped shallots, minced garlic, whole grain sweet mustard, and caraway seeds. All of a sudden the kitchen smelled like a Reuben sandwich. Weird, but delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Looks fantastic. I LOVE gnocchi...or pretty much anything with potatoes in it! =)

    ReplyDelete