Thursday, June 4, 2009

Fresh Cherry Pie

Pin It
I have new found respect for grandmothers everywhere. Making a pie is hard work. I made this pie using two portions of this basic flaky pie crust recipe and this fresh cherry pie recipe. The hardest part for me was rolling out the dough and transferring it to the pie pan without cracks. I find rolling the dough in between two pieces of parchment paper or plastic wraps helps tremendously.

Also, unless you've got a mean masochistic streak, please use a cherry pitter. I couldn't find one after going to four different stores, so I had to use a paper clip. It was a big pain in the tush. If VB didn't help me out, I'm probably still standing by the sink pitting those dang cherries.

All that hard work yielded one tasty pie. The crust is flaky and the filling is sweet and tart. I would recommend using butter-flavored shortening so that the crust is even more buttery. The best part? It's an excellent excuse to eat ice cream. Cherry pie a la mode, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. I use a very small piping tip. The kind used to fill a cream puff with filling is the best. I know, I know, most people don't have that. But it's $1, versus a cherry pitter that does nothing else. And sure as heck better than a paper clip!

    Congrats on your first pie.

    ReplyDelete