Monday, April 11, 2011

Spinach and Oyster Mushroom on Creamy Polenta

Pin It For Christmas, I got myself and VB's mom oyster mushroom growing kits from Back to the Roots. Between the traveling and all the other stuff that's going on, I didn't get a chance to grow oyster mushrooms right in my kitchen until last month. It was really humid with lots of rain, so my first attempt never yielded any edible -- just a blue moldy mess. I contacted BTTR to let them know about my experience and they were kind enough to send me a replacement kit. A few days later, I had some gorgeous oyster mushrooms right on my kitchen counter!


I tried to showcase the fresh, meaty mushrooms by preparing them simply. I sauteed them quickly with fresh spinach, sliced onion, red pepper flakes and some lemon juice and then added them to a bed of creamy polenta.


Polenta can be a great and quick component to many dishes. It can be done in 5 minutes with a lot of whisking. The star here is definitely the oyster mushrooms, which are meaty and flavorful. Check out BTTR for more information on these neat little kits.

No comments:

Post a Comment