Friday, March 25, 2011

Roasted Vegetable Tart

Pin It

I think I'm addicted to these one-bite wonders -- a dish that contains vegetables, carbs and protein, all in one bite.  I made a roasted vegetable tart that contains a bunch of vegetables found in cans, freezer and fridge. I dumped everything that I had onto the tart (What can I say? It's rainy and I'm too lazy to go to the grocery store). As you can see, I have some Asiago cheese, caramelized onions, olives, sliced tomatoes, asparagus, capers, oyster mushrooms and sliced garlic.

I got the tart recipe from the Food & Wine Magazine, but used different toppings to make this tart uniquely mine. I really like the tart -- it's crispy, crunchy and flaky -- perfect vessel for all the vegetables on top.

For the tart, you'll need:
  • 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup corn meal
  • 4 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable shortening, cold and cubed
  • 1/3 cup cold water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Begin by combining whole wheat flour with corn meal and salt. Add butter and vegetable shortening. Using a hand mixer, stand mixer or food processor, break up the fat until  the mixture turns into wet sand consistency. Add cold water until the dough barely comes together. Form dough into a ball and refrigerate for at least an hour. When you're ready, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness and top with desired toppings. Bake in 425 degree oven for 30 minutes until tart becomes crispy.


I really like the mix of vegetables I used. Every bite has a different flavor combination. Sometimes you get the briny salty olives or capers. Sometimes you get the sweet bright acidity of the tomatoes and caramelized onions. All that with the crispy and flaky tart and creamy Asiago cheese. I can see this as a fun appetizer for a party or a delicious main course for a night in.

No comments:

Post a Comment