Friday, January 14, 2011

Falafel and Tabbouleh

Pin It

If there is anything that you won't catch me doing (besides eating cauliflower without coercion or threat), it is deep fat frying. I'm not exactly sure where I got this hang-up, but I think that small scar on my wrist from oil splatter when I was a sous chef for my mom's fried pork chops may have something to do with it. In any event, deep fat frying isn't something that I'm likely to do at home. What if oil spills! Think of the clean up! I have to use a tub of oil just to fry 3 things! What if I start a grease fire?! Is that possible?! There are so many reasons not to. So I leave it to the experts at KFC.


That is a a somewhat long winded explanation as to why these falafels look more like pucks than balls.  These falafels were shallow pan fried in a non-stick skillet with a little bit of oil instead of deep fried like you'd see from a restaurant. But these fava beans falafels are very delicious and moist (probably because I didn't deep fry all the moisture out of them). These are stuffed into pitas with some store bought roasted red bell pepper hummus. Just for kicks, we also stuffed some tabbouleh in there with it. Totally delicious.


You can find the recipe for spiced fava bean falafel here and tabbouleh here at Eau de Spice.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there CG!!! Yes I am totally stalking your blog. haha...I just wanted you to know that there is totally a way to deep fry and be clean...I make my own falafels too and don't have to worry about spillage. The falafels always come out nice and light, not too greasy if they're fried right.

    ReplyDelete